Wednesday, November 23, 2011

ICING ON THE CAKE OF LIFE

Today I went for a long walk with a particular destination in mind. I enjoyed being in the space of the moment as I walked. The scurrying bodies of lizards made the sidewalk come alive, as their lithe bodies blended with the leaves. The breeze was fresh and cool, wafting across me, kissing the skin on my arms and shoulders. I drank in the beauty of the trees and flowers as I passed by.

A couple of times I paused and looked ahead to my destination. The first time, it appeared very distant. When I walked with my focus on it, I felt that I was not moving fast at all. It seemed as if I would never reach it.

Then when I shifted my focus to that of my immediate surroundings… when I again allowed myself to get lost in the beauty around me, time had no meaning. I found myself caught up in the joy of being in the time of now.

The next time I focused on my destination, I saw I had almost reached that elusive place. Instead of being caught up in hurrying to get to my destination, I had been able to enjoy a wonderful walk soaking up beautiful scenery and still accomplish my goal.

To me, that is ‘icing on the cake of life!’ And I love my icing! Everyone deserves it…what will you find to be your icing today?

No comments:

Post a Comment