Wednesday, November 3, 2010

SPIRIT RUNS FREE

Death. It seems like a sad ending, yet it is truly a new beginning. Those that go before us will be our welcome party to show us the ropes when we walk through to the other side.

After just seeing another pet cross over, I have to remember to be happy that yet another furry face will be there to greet me in the future. Pets teach us much. They teach us about unconditional love and trust. They live shorter lives they we do, so we are also taught how to let go.

One big lesson for me happened many years ago. I have adored horses since I was very young. There was a racing stable near my home and I used to beg my dad to take me there, just so I could walk around smelling the aroma of the horses. I felt such peace amongst the horses.

When my children were 3 and 6, I was blessed to have horses of my own. The way I rewarded myself for completing housework (which I detest), was to go spend time with the horses. Ride, clean stalls, or build fences. It didn’t matter as long as I was with them.

My kids each had their own ponies and I had a 16 hand well-trained black quarter horse. His deep black sheen was accented by a white star on his forehead. He was aptly named Target. He was huge, but gentle as a lamb.

When he first came to live with me, his previous owner said he was stubborn and wouldn’t come when called. She said she would have to chase him down in the pasture and beat him with a whip to catch him.

Not liking what I heard or seeing his ribs outlined on his body, I turned for advice to a good friend whom had trained Arabian horses for years. I followed her advice with Target.

After a short month of going to his pasture, three times a day with sweet grain covered in a bit of corn oil, he would come running to me every time I called him. I would feed him and love on him. He rewarded me by teaching me much about riding and unconditional love. We had great times together. He was so gentle that my 3 year old could walk under him and he would just watch her.

I was blessed to have him in my life. He was a good friend when I was going through some rough times in my marriage. I would spend time running my hands over his face and he would nuzzle me with his velvety nose. He gave me a lot of peace.

However, he was old for a show horse. He developed an issue with his hooves. Each step brought him pain. I began treating him with penicillin shots. The vet used to ride him a few years previous and loved Target too.

Funny thing about penicillin…the vet said that a horse that had been treated many years with penicillin could develop an allergy to it. I was unaware of that when I carefully gave him his last shot in his wooden stall.

He began to go into convulsions. I quickly jumped out to safety…as a 1200 pound horse thrashing uncontrollably in a tight space, was not where I needed to be. He fell to the ground and laid there breathing shallowly. In the next moment I was beside him cradling his sweet head in my lap. I stroked him and told him how loved he was as he watched me, eyes filled with trust and love. In a few minutes, his spirit went through the doorway to beautiful green pastures on the other side.

I called the vet and he came immediately. He explained to me what he thought happened and assured me there had been nothing else I could have done. We sat for awhile reliving pleasant memories of this beautiful horse, crying and laughing together.

My friends who had farm machinery came and helped get his body out of the stall. Since it was winter in Indiana, it would take a lot of digging to bury the body. They left it till the next day.

I looked out my farm house window and saw the body that once held a beautiful spirit. I knew he was no longer there.

That is when I had a vision of Target running to me. His beautiful black hide was glinting in the sun with his mane and tail streaming behind him. I knew without a doubt that he was free to run without pain and he would greet me some day.

Since that time, he has run through my dreams. He also helped me unlock a past life memory when I was a knight with a huge black war stallion that I loved deeply.

Even as I write this, I feel his sweet breath on me and the velvety softness of his nose. Yes…if he was allowed in the house, he would have come inside! LOL! Now he can!

Remember, our pets are blessings…in this life and when they choose to go to the other side. Target can help me in ways that he never could while in his horsey body.

I am blessed to continue to have my furry friends helping me even when they become spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment