Friday, April 15, 2011

CELEBRATE LIFE

A couple of days ago a lady came to my door with a Jesus pamphlet in her hand. She was very sweet. She invited me to a free service to ‘Celebrate’ the death of Jesus. While my mind was trying to process why this sweet lady wanted to celebrate the death of anyone, let alone a Great Master, my mouth spoke my truth.

“I prefer to Celebrate His Life,” came my answer with a big smile.

Sadly she didn’t hear me. She proceeded to try to explain that I must learn why Jesus had to die. (No mention of the Resurrection)

Since I was in a hurry to go to an appointment, I interrupted her. “I was raised on the mission field and went to Bible College, I understand why he died.” I spoke like I would to a small child that couldn’t understand why she wasn’t allowed to play in a busy street.

I felt compassion for her. That was me during my Bible College years. She felt compelled to speak her truth, but with no listening ear to those around her.

She told me to look up Easter in Webster, so I would understand why we have Easter. All the words of how Easter was Christianized to assimilate the pagan religions would be lost on her, so I left them unspoken.

Instead, I sent her compassion and love in my eyes and thanked her for her time.

“God Bless you, have a wonderful day,” were my parting words.

My hope is that sometime during her time of celebrating the death of Jesus, she will reflect for a moment on the joy of his life and his message of Unconditional Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment