Sunday, December 25, 2011

HONORING MEMORIES OFTHOSE IN SPIRIT

Yesterday and today I noticed my papaw being around. He went to live in the spirit world when I was in 7th grade. He had a free spirit and a sad heart. He had witnessed his mother being burned to death in their house. He lied about his age and joined the army to participate in the first World War. Then he re-enlisted for the second War.

I heard stories of how he would bring home people from the internment camps for the holidays and just to hang out from time to time. He had a loving and open heart. However, like many other people with horrors in their pasts, he tried to drown the memories in alcohol for years.

When I knew him, he was in recovery. He took us on grand adventures. I still have the leather zipped change purse I found while treasure hunting with him in the junkyard of cars. I had discovered it in the glove box of an abandoned vehicle.

We would go to the country store, drink Mt. Dew and explore the winding river, always on the lookout for bears. (There had to be bears about, cause it was in the country, right? Lol! ). We loved traipsing across one of the ancient covered bridges in Indiana located in the small town near the family farm.

I believe he did the best he could with the grandchildren to atone for the challenges he caused his wife and kids when he was drinking. I still overheard rumblings of what a bad person he was, but I just knew he was my Papaw and he was magical.

I paused in my trip down memory lane (I saved my writing at this point to finish when I returned) and went to see the movie War Horse. I thought it would bring up more memories of my past life as a knight boned to my war horse. However, knowing it was about WWI, I took time to invite Papaw along.

The movie quickly showed it was more about overcoming obstacles in life. There were definite parallels with what I know of Papaw’s life. I found the synchronicity of writing about Papaw’s hardships before I went to the movie and the similarities in the movie very interesting.

The message here is to look deeper before passing any judgments you may have for how a person lived their life. I honor my Papaw today, by remembering the sacrifices he made, the love he gave, and the magic he brought to my life. Until you walk a mile in their moccasins…..

No comments:

Post a Comment