Thursday, December 1, 2011

A WORLD'S AIDS DAY THANK YOU

Today is World’s Aids Day.

Today the goal is “Getting to Zero” (That's zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination and zero AIDS-related deaths).

Today I will honor my friend, Raven, who died of Aids, leaving a gap in my life.

I honor his memory as the first male in my daughter’s young life (then 8 years old) who empowered her. She had been through many challenges and walked with her head and spirit low. In a few minutes of Raven speaking to her, telling her how no man should ever mistreat her, how if any man did so…he, Raven, would be her protector…her shoulders came up and the light in her eyes re-ignited.

As her mother, I had told her all those things, but until she heard it from a man, it did not have the power she needed. She and I were blessed with knowing Raven only a few short years as HIV became full-blown AIDS. She became stronger emotionally each time that she was around him.

My religious friends and family were concerned over my friendship with a gay man with HIV, but I was learning to love people in the way Christ did…no judgments. Raven showed me the love of the Divine and that is all that mattered with me.

We eventually lost contact for some months, but I was able to be by his bedside a couple of days before he left his weakened shell of a body. I thanked him for what he had done. I told him I loved him.

After his funeral, part Lutheran and part Native American, (he was half Cherokee) there was a beautiful bonfire and drumming. I was dealing with my own grief and chatted with a friend of his that I just met. (This person led me to my first Reiki Master Teacher whom re-opened my abilities to the Spirit World..Raven did much more for me than help my daughter).

Later as we spoke about the funeral, my daughter said, “Wasn’t it cool how Raven appeared in the fire, turned into a crow and flew into the sky?”From the mouths of babes!

The next night was a full-moon and I had a midnight horseback ride scheduled. On the drive there, I spoke to my friend, Raven. I asked if he wanted to come along on the ride with me.

When I got there, the leaders ‘indiscriminately’ put you on a horse. My gelding was as black as coal and went by the name of Raven!

As we trailed out of the barn in single file there was a commotion behind us. I heard someone say, “Oh never mind. Just let him go.”

Looking behind me I saw a paint horse (Indian pony) walking directly behind my horse. No rider, saddle or bridle! During our trail ride I continued to chat with Raven. I kept trying to get my horse to follow directly behind the one in front. I have had horses and am an experienced rider, but couldn’t get my Raven horse to walk in line like the rest of the horses.

Suddenly I got it! I chuckled and said under my breath, “Raven, you always had to do things a little differently than everyone else!”

Raven shows up from time to time in my life even now. Today I feel his energy more strongly.

Today I honor Raven and will continue to try to show the same Divine unconditional love as he did for so many people!

Thank you, Raven.

No comments:

Post a Comment