Wednesday, December 14, 2011

SEWING PRACTICE IS LIKE LIFE

As I dust the cobwebs off my sewing machine and begin to awaken stale gifts, I am reminded that one does not have to do everything perfect in life. When I learned to sew I would often get discouraged because every seam had to be perfect. I spent more time ripping out than sewing, it appeared me.

My current project is a chemise for a pirate costume. I just finished re-doing the jacket. My dear friend, Consort, teacher and ally in life, Tim Tedana, reminded me that pirates historically had ratty and sometimes torn clothes. They procured clothing from their dead victims. So if my sewing was less than perfect, it would be perfect for what I was doing.

As I looked through patterns, I was intrigued with some beautiful costumes I would like to enjoy for other re-enactments. They will take more precise stitching. So I look at this as good practice.

I considered how this principle is true to life. Life is meant to be lived to its fullest. We are not to get caught up in trying to do everything perfectly. The challenges we face, the bumps in the road of life are all part of the foundation on which we build our future. (More on this tomorrow).

So try to let go and enjoy the space you are living in currently. Know this is how you are perfecting the beauty of who you are becoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment