Monday, March 28, 2011

MERLYNS MAGICK...Part One

Hooves of Thunder flashing over the plains

Where does it come from, what is to gain?

Eyes of fire and legs of steel,

Mind focused on what is real


As I wrote this, I stopped and remembered. My remembering took me to a life lived many centuries ago. I write it as I remembered and the lesson I was to learn in remembering.

“The day dawned bright and clear. I arose early, stretching the entire length of my body as I stood up outside the tepee. As I looked about the peaceful village a sense of calm pervaded my body. Our chief was wise and powerful and I had placed my confidence in his leadership, as did all the others.

I was a strong young man just coming into my physical prime. Today was to be a special day, the day I was to be announced as a warrior of the tribe.

Many gifts were placed at my feet including spears, shields, sage, tobacco, and knives. The chief was waiting for the last. His gift would be the most important, the most sacred.

The chief approached me and said...”my gift is one that I have considered long and hard. You are to be a great warrior, and someday you may become chief in my place. Come,” he said and motioned for me to follow.

He led me toward the herd of horses. He whistled shrilly, and a fine strong mare lifted her head, neighed, and then trotted to him. I knew this was his prize mare, so I stood there wondering.

Then I heard a little squeaking kind of desperate sound. A yearly colt appeared behind his mother, the mare. The little fellow had just realized his mother had left his side.

He ran up to us, butted his head against his mother, and she turned to kick him away. The look on his face was one of hurt.

“Poor little fellow,” I thought as my heart went out to him. He walked to me and nuzzled my hand, looking at me with trusting eyes. I gently scratched his head and behind his ears, smiling as I observed his look of satisfaction and pleasure.

My chief spoke, breaking me out of the trance I seemed to be in. “That settles it,” he said. “I needed to make sure. He is yours. Train him well, he is strong with a warrior spirit like your own.”

That began our journey together. He became my constant companion. I even quit sleeping in the tepee, choosing instead to sleep outside under the stars with him.

Cataron was the name I choose for him. In a few months we began the transition of training in earnest. He was already used to me lying my body over his back. Cataron seemed to think that was a fine game. At times he would head butt me to get me to do it.

The first day that I sat astride Cataron, we were swimming, one of our favorite pastimes. As he was swimming I slid onto his back and lay close to his neck. He walked out of the water and seemed to notice me, but thought it was another game. I firmly, but gently started guiding him with my knees. From then on his training went quickly.

Yes, in many ways I was his master, but most of all we were friends. We even played a game of tag in the open meadows. We would run and chase each other until exhausted.

We fought many battles together and had a teamwork that amazed the other warriors. One day we were to battle our enemies the Apaches. It became a much fiercer battle than was expected.

Very soon we were in the thick of it. Apaches were coming at us from every side. Arrows were falling all around us. As Cataron reared to stomp out an enemy, I slipped from his back, and fought alongside of him.

I was knocked to my knees and fought hand to hand with a fierce Apache. Then suddenly everything seemed to become in slow motion. As the Apache fell to his death, I looked up to see two arrows coming to me.

I knew in my heart that I had no time to react, and death was coming swiftly my way. As I prepared to go to the Creator I heard a desperate neigh and my stallion appeared in front of me, blocking the arrows of death.

As the first one hit his side he didn't flinch, but stood solid as the next one swiftly followed entering his kidneys and bringing him to his knees. He continued to faithfully take the death that was intended for me.

I fell to my knees, badly wounded myself, and quickly responded by shooting arrows toward our attackers. Then suddenly the area was swarming with our tribe, and forced the enemy to retreat.

I pulled myself to Cataron's side. He was now laying flat on the ground with arrows protruding from all about his withers. I held his head gently on my lap as a mother would hold her newborn.

The tears freely streamed down my face as I spoke gentle love words to him while watching his eyes fixed on my face. His eyes were full of love and trust. I knew in my heart he was aware what he was doing when he blocked the arrows path from me. Now I was to lose my dearest friend and companion.

As I saw his life's spirit leave his tortured body, I cried out. “No! Don’t leave me! Come back, come back to me, I need you!”

Little did I realize the effects this cry of my soul would have on our future together. This story would come later. For now, I buried my friend in a great ceremony, as one would do for a sacred soul.

My wounds eventually healed, but the wound in my heart never did. I believed one day, we would be together again, when the Great Spirit came to take me home.”

Part Two will be tomorrow...about how he returned to me....:-)

Morgana Starr 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment