Thursday, January 12, 2012

ANGELS AND OWLS

From the time I was a little girl begging my mom for a baby baboon the Africans were trying to sell us, animals were a part of my heart. They seemed to listen better than humans, and certainly showed me more love. I could also see ‘invisible’ animals.

Wild or feral animals calmed around me. My parents puzzled over how I could get almost any animal to do what I asked of it. They told me from time to time, that they didn’t know where my gift came from, as no one else in the family was like that. (Later my younger brother began to awaken his gifts and became involved in wildlife rehabilitation)

I remember a time when I was newly married and living in farm country. I was 22 with only fur critters for children at the time. I was still in the world of the restrictions of the church, yet felt I was missing something important in my life, but did not know what it was.

Looking out my window, I noticed something weird on the fence a little ways down the road from my house. Walking over there I discovered a large owl tangled in the barbed wire. It wasn’t struggling much as it was very tired. I began to talk to him softly, telling him I would return and help him.

I made a call to the local wildlife rehabilitation and help was sent. In the meantime, I covered him with a blanket which seemed to soothe him. The man came and expertly cut the wires loose with the owl still wrapped up and me talking to it.

He told me since it was daylight, the owl was more lethargic and easier to handle. He also mentioned this one was calmer than he expected. The poor baby was also exhausted and in shock, but also sensed who I was and who was around me more than I knew myself.

He took the owl to recover and eventually release. I left feeling I had done something important. My logical mind said, ‘It was only an owl.’ But my heart told me I had helped a creature release the bonds holding it so it could fly.

Now…many year later…I reflect on that time. The Owl is one of Anael’s totems. She flies through the darkness spreading hope.The owl I rescued sensed her with me, even though I was not consciously aware of it at that time.

I was like that Owl. Captured in the confines of man-made religion with all its barbs and pain. I just wanted to fly, so I fought until I was bloodied and then in shock. That is when Anael swooped in, calmed me with her words, blanketed me in comfort, cut me loose, allowed me to heal….and then released me to fly free!

Remember…the things you do for the smallest of creatures, may be done for you some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment